The aim of the post graduate programme in nursing is to prepare graduates to assume responsibilities as nurse specialists, consultants, educators and administrator in a wide variety of professional settings.
On completion of the two years M.Sc(N) program, the graduate will be able to:
- Utilize/apply then concepts, theories and principal of nursing science.
- Demonstrate advance competence in practice of nursing.
- Practice as a nurse specialist.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and function effectively as nurse educator and manager.
- Demonstrate skill in conduction nursing research, interpreting & utilizing the findings from health related research.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan & effect change is nursing practice and in health care delivery system.
- Establish collaborative relationship with member of other disciplines
- Demonstrate interest in continued learning for personal and professional advancement.
Eligibility for M.Sc(N) Admission:
The candidates should have
- Passed the qualification of B.Sc Nursing P.B.BSc., Degree of this university accepted as equivalent.
- Should have registered with state Registration Council of Nurses and Midwives.
- M.Sc(N) graduates should have one year of experience in a hospital or in a college or in a school of Nursing or in a Community Health programme after registration in the state Nursing council, Chennai.
- Minimum one year of work experience prior or after post basic B.Sc Nursing.
- In case of male candidates, they should have passed any other course recommended by the Indian Nursing Council, New Delhi in place of Midwifery. Those who have Studied Midwifery are eligible for admission to branch III Midwifery to Branch IV Community Health Nursing.
- Candidate should be medically fit.
Candidates shall obtain an eligibility certificate directly from the university in person by remitting the prescribed fees with the application form, which shall be download from the university website(www.tnmgrmu.ac.in)
Other university candidates must obtain a migration certificate from the concerned university where they completed their Under Graduate degree.
A requisition letter for the prospectus and application form should be made to the Chairman, Nehru Nursing College, Vallioor along with a D.D for Rs.500/- drawn in favour of Nehru Nursing College, Vallioor.
- The application form is to be completed by the applicant in her own handwriting.
- Application should be duly filled and all the necessary certificates should be accompanied failing which the application will not be considered.
Candidates shall submit the following certificate all in original at the time of registration and admission:
- Eligibility Certificate.
- Mark sheet of 12th
- Certificate indicating the date of birth.
- Mark sheet of B.Sc Nursing/Post Basic B.Sc(N).
- M.Sc(N) Degree Certificate
- RN, RM certificate (renewal certificate if needed).
- Experience Certificate.
- Medical fitness and blood group certificate.
- Course completion certificate of B.Sc(N).
- Provisional degree certificate.
- Transfer certificate from college of Nursing.
- Community certificate.
- Migration from the University of under Graduate degree completion.
- Passport size photo-10Nos.
All information given in the application form should be correct if any false information noticed during the course, individual would be disqualified.
- Selection of candidates will be done on merit basis by selection committee office director of medical education Chennai -10
- Admission granted provisional subjected to the following conditions
- The payment of all fees to the institution
- Submission of eligibility certificate from The TamilNadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University, Chennai-32.
- Submission of all certificates and testimonials in originals as per requirement.
- Medical fitness clearance.
Medium of Instruction:
English shall be the medium of instruction for all the subjects of study and for examination of M.Sc(N) Degree course.
Duration of the course:
The duration of certified study for M.Sc(N) course shall be over a period of two academic years.
Commencement of the course:
The course shall commence from October of the academic year.
Working days in the Academic year:
Each academic year shall consist of not less than 270 working days.
Candidate should have 90% of attendance in theory and 100% practical separately and should have completed before the examination.
Post graduate students shall attend conference, workshops, seminars and do publication/presentation of paper during their study period.
Condonation of lack of attendance:
There shall be no condonation of any kind of leave for any reason including pregnancy, child birth and medical condition of any nature.
Regulation for examination:
Theory and practical examination shall be conducted at the end of 1st year and 2nd year respectively in the subject as per syllabus and if the candidate fails he/she may be allowed to appear for supplementary examination.
- Maximum number of attempts permitted for each paper is 3, including first attempt.
- Maximum period to complete the course successfully should not exceed 4 years.
- Candidate who fails in any subject, shall be permitted to continue the studies into the 2nd year However the candidates shall not be allowed to appear for the 2nd year examination till such time that he or she passes all subjects of the 1st year M.Sc(N) examination.
Cut off dates for admission to the examination
- Candidates admitted upto October 30 th of the academic year will be registered to take up their 1 st year M.Sc (N) examination on 15th October of the ensuing year.
There shall be an internal assessment in all the subject and marks for each subject will be according to the weightage gain to each subject.
The internal assessment mark shall be an aggregate of 3 sessional examinations in theory / practical.
The college examination along with marks of all evaluation will form the internal assessment for all the subjects.
A candidate must secure 50% marks in theory / practical examination separately each subject.
Classification of result:
|50%||Pass in both theory and practical separately|
|50% -59%||Second class|
|75% and above||Distinction|
- Submission of the research proposal by end of 9th month of 1st
- Submission of dissertation – end of 9th month of 2nd
Eligibility for the award of degree:
The candidate shall be awarded the degree of Master of science in Nursing when a candidate has put in the prescribed programme of study for 2 years and successfully completed all programme requirement including the submission of dissertation.
Branches of study:
|Branch I||Medical and Surgical Nursing (Cardio vascular & thoracic Nursing, Critical care Nursing, Oncology Nursing , Neuro Science Nursing Nephro -urology Nursing)|
|Branch II||Child Health Nursing|
|Branch III||Obstetrics and Gynaecology Nursing|
|Branch IV||Psychiatric Nursing|